Actor Senthil’s name is enough to make any Tamil movie audience smile! That’s the kind of intense fan following, the veteran comedian has!
Known for playing a sidekick to well-known comedian Goundamani in several superhit Tamil films, Senthil has starred in over 500 films. Senthil’s brand of rib-tickling comedy with perfect dialogue delivery and flawless body language made his popularity soar.
Let us take a look at some of the lesser known facts of this extraordinarily versatile man, and his amazing career spanning 4 decades.
- Born in a remote village in Ramanathapuram district, Senthil hails from a modest family.
- At the age of 13, Senthil ran away from his village after his father scolded him. After landing in Chennai, the actor did all kinds of odd jobs for a living.
- Being passionate about acting, little Senthil soon landed up playing small roles in dramas. He made plenty of friends in the cinema industry and worked with several yesteryear biggies. It was at that time, Senthil was introduced to Goundamani.
- Before venturing into films, Senthil and Goundamani have acted together in several dramas.
- Interestingly, Senthil made his movie debut with the Malayalam blockbuster Ithikkara Pakki in 1980. The actor soon branched out to Tamil film industry playing small uncredited roles, that proved his acting expertise.
- In a matter of few years, Senthil landed up bagging notable roles. After few projects, Senthil had busy years ahead signing back-to-back projects, that offered him meatier roles.
- Senthil and Goundamani have acted together in several films. The onscreen combo was described as “Tamil cinema’s Laurel and Hardy”.
- Apart from dramas and movies, Senthil has also acted in several top TV serials, including Kundakka Mandakka, among many others.
- In an interview to a popular magazine, the actor revealed that he usually gets a scene down in a single take. Never had he delayed any filming with even 2 or 3 takes to lock the shot.
- During a film shoot in Kodaikanal, the actor injured his backbone and was on bed rest. Following which, the actor was on a brief hiatus for over 7 years.
- Senthil was last seen in the 2018 Pongal release Thaana Serntha Koottam directed by Vignesh Shivn.