At Facebook’s annual F8 developer conference on Tuesday, CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced that the platform is coming up with a new “dating” service for building “real long-term relationships”.
While making the announcement, Mark clarified that the new offering was designed with privacy and safety in mind. With over 200 million Facebook users, who list their relationship as single, this new feature is expected to let these people connect with each other. This new dating feature of Facebook will not focus on quick hookups, like other popular dating apps.
Here’s everything you need to know about the new dating feature!
- A dating profile can be created within the existing Facebook profile.
- The dating profile will be separate from the existing Facebook profile and the user’s existing Facebook friends won’t appear as potential matches.
- The dating profile will appear only for the other people who also use the dating service.
- A new messaging section will be available for the dating profile.
- Considering safety measures, only text-based chatting is allowed for the first time, unlike the company’s existing messaging services, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. One cannot send photos or links in the dating inbox.
- To find the potential matches, the users will be able to “unlock” individual events or groups that they’re members of. With this, the users will have the option to discover others with similar interests through their groups or events.
- Based on dating preferences, things in common, and mutual friends, Facebook will use a unique algorithm to match the user with potential dates.