Overcoming several obstacles and controversies, Thalapathy Vijay starrer Mersal opened to record-breaking box-office collections, bringing Diwali cheer to Kollywood. The action thriller which features Vijay in triple roles has Kajal Aggarwal, Samantha and Nithya Menen in the female leads.
With a phenomenal response it received at the ticket window and by the fans, the Atlee directorial has broken a number of existing records and has been constantly creating new ones with every passing week. It’s still raining records for the blockbuster, and here we list a few of them.
– Mersal broke the all-time day 1 Tamil Nadu box-office gross collections achieved by Rajinikanth’s Kabali and Ajith’s Vivegam. Reportedly, Mersal collected gross Rs 22.5 crore on Day 1 in Tamil Nadu box office, while Kabali garnered Rs 20.5 crore and Vivegam collected Rs 17.20 crore.
– Mersal earned Rs 43.50 crore worldwide on its first day of release.
– Mersal teaser is the fastest video on YouTube (India) to achieve 10 Million views in 19 hours.
– The movie also has several other YouTube records. It is reported that the Mersal teaser is the most liked movie teaser in the world.
– Aalaporaan Thamizhan from the movie’s album went on to become a chartbuster and took social media by storm. Recently, the song made a new record. The video of Aalaporaan Thamizhan song on Youtube hit 36 Million views on Youtube.
– Mersal is the first movie that was released in Japan on Diwali weekend in 4 locations and it is the highest for a Tamil movie till date.
– Mersal grossed over Rs 250 Crore at the box-office and is Vijay’s highest grossing film in his career.
– Mersal is the fifth South Indian film to enter the Rs 250 crore club after the Baahubali series, Kabali and Enthiran.
– Having earned over Rs 20 crore, Mersal is the third biggest grosser in Malaysia after Dilwale and Kabali.
– Mersal had reportedly collected around Rs 12 Crore in the Coimbatore region breaking the records of Rajinikanth’s Enthiran collection.
– According to a Forbes report, Mersal saw a bigger opening than Aamir Khan’s Dangal and Shah Rukh Khan’s Raees in the US.
– Touted to be Vijay’s costliest film, Mersal is the first big budget movie to release in Tamil Nadu after the new ticket rates were announced.
– Mersal also kept the cash registers ringing at the United States box office by reaching the $1 million mark, beating the records of Kamal Haasan’s Vishwaroopam.
– Another massive leap for the film is when it won the Best Foreign Language Film at the 4th edition of the National Film Awards UK 2018, which was based on fan votes.
– Vijay’s Mersal and SS Rajamouli’s Baahubali 2 are the most talked about topics in the country on Twitter in 2017.
– Mersal happens to be the first-ever Tamil film to have got a custom emoji, that had over 1.7 million Tweets in three days.
– Madhavan, Vijay Sethupathi starrer Vikram Vedha, and Vijay’s Mersal were the only Tamil films that found its places in the IMDb list of best 10 Indian films of 2017.
– The latest achievement on Mersal is that the action entertainer will be screened at the 22nd Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival (Bifan), an International film festival held annually in South Korea.
Our wishes to the whole team of Mersal for the massive success!